Wednesday, January 26, 2011

First Performance Upgrades

My first 'performance upgrades' are so minor now that I look back on them that I almost shouldn't even bother posting about them. In all honesty my parent's wouldn't let me make any performance modifications while they were paying for my insurance, which is why I wisely spent my $800 on GT500 wheels and tires instead of buying a turbo kit, cylinder heads, or 5-speed transmission (even though a 5-speed doesn't make you any faster...hmmm maybe I should've put a T5 in it way back when...) so my first 'modification' was very minor in perfomance terms, but very large in my eyes. I bought a 'cold air' kit off of EBay for roughly $40 (pretty good price if you ask me) and had it shipped to me and installed it in the summer of '07 while my parents were on vacation. I'd heard people say that a cold-air intake was a good starting point and it truly is. I remember the throttle response being much quicker, and for the time, was good enough for me.
This is apparently the only picture I have of the first cold-air intake I put in my Mustang, which you can still barely see. It's odd for me to look at these old pictures and see things that are now non-existent on my Mustang, such as the air-conditioner (c'mon, I have a drop-top Mustang, who needs A/C?), the stock intake, and the old cai system.

Here are some more pictures of my other cai setups:
 This I had gotten from the PO (previous owner, not post-officer) and used for quite a while until I moved to Twin Falls, and tried a different setup (below)
This was a setup I had in '09 after the hood-scoop was installed. I really wanted (and tried my best) to make the hood scoop functional, as you can see from the tube and receiver box next to my intake. Needless to say, it failed horribly. I have since come up with another Idea on how to make use of my hood scoop, but I will talk more about that later. 

Needless to say this is my latest (and truest) cold-air intake system for my Mustang (now-dubbed "SC/302"), which I built myself under my company name NSP Motorsports. I will elaborate more on this system later.


No comments:

Post a Comment