Thursday, February 17, 2011

Vinylography

The seats in my Mustang have been bad for almost as long as I've had the car. The leather started to crack and rip, so I put seat covers over them to slow down the process of destruction. I think I had them on there for about 3 or 4 years before I finally got around to taking care of the problem. I estimated the cost of reupholstering the front two seats to be around $300 for the front two seats in white leather, just like stock. But this is no stock Mustang. No, this is an SC/302, and I do not have things done for me. I do things myself. So I decided to reupholster my seats myself in black and white vinyl, with custom SC/302 embroidery. Check it out.
The old, nasty cracked leather seat compared to the new white vinyl.

I worked on the front bolster first, and when it was finished I compared it to the rest of the seat.
Picture-wise it looks very simple, but cutting the patterns and making everything fit right took quite a long time.
I remember staying up till 8 in the morning working on the embroidery for the back of the seat. 

 Here is the completed shell for the back of the seat.

And here is the seat completely finished. It is very wrinkly in this picture, but it has settled after being used a few times and it looks really good. I don't have a picture at the moment, but when I get new pictures I will post them up.


No comments:

Post a Comment